mandag 22. mars 2010

Ah want my rockers bad.

What is rock n roll all about? I ask myself as I read yet another Tabloid Headline in the newspaper about the recent bad boy Pete Doherty, the notorious drug fueled Libertines/Babyshambles singer who regularly serve us pieces of his public life through a scandal-hyped news window. Everybody loves a good story, even if the story isn’t good. That is the case about a lot of the stuff written about Mr. Doherty. The fellah is totally into his drug train and a lovable artist for every newspaper without respect for its self. Most of what you can read about Pete Doherty in the papers are of low news value, but he is getting shitloads of bad boy credibility every time. He is, despite the fucked up role model he may be, exactly what I am looking for in my rockers. Let’s mention a couple of our long lost heroes: Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jerry Garcia, Kurt Cobain, Shannon Hoon, Keith Moon, Andrew Wood… do I need to mention more tombstones here?

It is by all means a tragic fact that all of these artist are dead, dead because of a life influenced by drugs. I do not intend to idolize drugs in any way, but the way of drugs are a natural part of the rock culture and the picture of the bad boy syndrome following a rock n roll career. When the industry clean up their acts they provide much more healthier role models for the kids, but what is the essence of rock, what is it all about? It’s rebellion. It’s chicks, groupies and all the sex you want. It’s sweat, bare chests and long hair. It’s flying solos, it’s hard beating drums and speakers going up to 11. It’s crazy stories, madness and total chaos. It’s great freakin’ songs with attitude, attitude that reflect the bands image, an image that reflect the bands personality and upbringing. Bad fuckers with a great talent for hard shit and who knows how to throw a party. Rock it after all just another fantastic freak show.

If this isn’t a part of the history of rock n roll, then I don’t know what it is. But all the rock stars I ever loved, is a drug crazed lot of buggers. But great non the less. So when a funny guy like Pete Doherty comes along, it is either a blessing or a cures. What is , however you categorize him, a fact is that he carries that rock aura of madness and craziness with him. Even if I’m not so much into the music he plays, he is a true rocker and will one day pay the prize or harvest the glory. Pete is just what I want rock n roll to be; dirty, raw, fucked up and a total hazard. When rock becomes too clean it loses the edge that made it in the first place. I don’t want nobody to choose that kind of life or to wish them dead of overdoses or causing the death of others. Every time a performer dies it saddens my heart and it saddens people around them. But when a complete accident of a rock star strolls onto the scene I embrace him like a rare gem.

If this is a bad sign about myself I don’t know. All I know is that I pay tribute to all the rock stars dead or alive, rockers that at least try to live up to the myth. Some of them survive, some of them fall to the ground. I thank all of them for the music they provided and wish they would still be alive.

http://www.vg.no/musikk/artikkel.php?artid=584288

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar